Charles S LaubachPartner, Dubai Office
Email Charles S Laubach
Mr Laubach has been practicing as a legal consultant in the UAE since 1986. He advises on general corporate matters, contracts and government procurements, project finance, employment, and international trade controls.
Mr Laubach has been involved in numerous high monetary value financing and re-financing transactions. In addition, he provides specialised expertise regarding US, UN and other sanctions, boycotts and controls affecting exports to, investments in and transactions with certain designated countries and with regard to the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and other bribery prohibitions.
Since the late 1990s, Mr Laubach has been the author of the standard industry UAE law opinions on the various financial agreements used by the ICMA and the SLRC, enabling ICMA and SLRC members to enter into complex financial transactions with counterparties in the UAE.
Mr Laubach is well versed in all aspects of UAE and DIFC employment matters and assists clients in preparing employment documentation, and advises on compensation schemes, incentive schemes, confidentiality and non-compete clauses, and workforce reduction programmes. He assists with the employment aspects of mergers, acquisitions and other corporate restructurings, and handles contentious matters.
Voted as 'External Counsel of the Year 2013' in Asian MENA Counsel's Corporate Asia & Middle East In-house Community Survey.
Head of department Charles Laubach 'brings a wealth of experience' when representing clients. He is active in a broad range of corporate restructurings and acquisitions. - Chambers Global
Charles Laubach is ‘a great all-rounder’ who is ‘one of those guys that you call up, give him three minutes, and he’s already getting things done.’ - Chambers Global
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Corporate and Commercial
- Infrastructure and Project Finance
- Military Procurement and Offset Projects
- International Trade Controls and Sanctions
QUALIFICATIONS AND ADMISSIONS
- Pennsylvania Bar
- District of Columbia Bar
- MA, Islamic Studies University of Pennsylvania, 1985
- JD, University of Pennsylvania Law School, 1984
- MA, University of London, School of Oriental and African Studies, 1981
- BA, Dartmouth College, 1979
- Opportunities in Dubai's Healthcare Sector, Afridi & Angell inBrief, October 2017
- Labour & Employment 2017 (UAE chapter), Getting the Deal Through
- Companies Law Compliance, Afridi & Angell inBrief, April 2017
- Anti-Corruption Regulation 2017 (UAE chapter), Getting the Deal Through
- Getting a Grip on Movables, The Oath, March 2017
- Changes to Anti-Corruption Regulation in the UAE, Afridi & Angell inBrief, January 2017
- The New UAE Bankruptcy Law, Afridi & Angell inBrief, November 2016
- Employment and Employee Benefits in the United Arab Emirates 2014/15, Practical Law Multi-jurisdictional Guide
- Corporate Governance 2015 (UAE chapter), International Comparative Legal Guide
- Pensions in the United Arab Emirates 2013/2014, Practical Law Company
- International Questionnaire for Joint Venture Agreements (UAE), American Bar Association, Committee on Mergers & Acquisitions, International Mergers & Acquisitions Sub Committee, August 2013
- Employment & Labour Law 2012, International Comparative Legal Guide
- Anti-Corruption Compliance in the United Arab Emirates, The American Lawyer, October 2011