Amjad Ali KhanSenior Consultant, Dubai Office
Email Amjad Ali Khan
Mr Khan is a co-founder and former managing partner of Afridi & Angell. He joined the firm in 1982 and became a partner in 1988. He stepped down as managing partner in 2016, after being in that position and overseeing the firm's growth for over a decade. Mr Khan advises on both conventional and Shari'a compliant transactions. He represents the
Mr Khan is a co-founder and former managing partner of Afridi & Angell. He joined the firm in 1982 and became a partner in 1988. He stepped down as managing partner in 2016, after being in that position and overseeing the firm's growth for over a decade.
Mr Khan advises on both conventional and Shari'a compliant transactions. He represents the firm’s international and local clients including banks and leading multinationals in banking, financial, and corporate transactions in Dubai and abroad. He also represents clients in relation to investments in the GCC, US, UK, and India.
Mr Khan acts for several banks and borrowers in major restructurings of debt. He has also been involved in launching various banking related products and services in the UAE including the Direct Debit System introduced by the UAE Central Bank in the fourth quarter of 2013.
He has also been involved in several project finance transactions and in the setting up of industrial projects in the UAE.
Mr Khan has considerable experience advising private equity firms in relation to cross border acquisitions. He has advised clients on private placements, management buy-outs and sale of business, and has advised clients extensively on cross border and GCC-wide acquisitions and divestitures.
Mr Khan is an active speaker at conferences and seminars, and authors several specialised works by various publishers including Law Business Research and Thomson Reuters. He sits on the Board of Directors of Lex Mundi, the world's leading network of independent law firms.
Sources find Mr Khan ‘very knowledgeable and very experienced.’ - Chambers Global
Afridi & Angell’s reputation can be largely attributed to the expertise of finance partner and practice head Amjad Ali Khan, ‘a thorough, passionate and professional operator.’ - Legal 500 EMEA
One client stated that Amjad Ali Khan 'really cares about the implications and takes a long-term view - we don't hesitate to contact him.' Another described him as 'simply outstanding.' - Chambers Global
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Banking and Financial Services
- Acquisitions and Private Equity
- Infrastrucuture and Project Finance
- Corporate and Commercial
QUALIFICATIONS AND ADMISSIONS
- New York State Bar
- Punjab Bar Council
- LLM, Boalt Hall School of Law at University of California, Berkeley, 1982
- Punjab University Law College, Lahore, Pakistan, 1979
- Banking and Finance (UAE chapter), Chambers Global Practice Guides, 2018
- The Islamic Finance and Markets Law Review (UAE chapter), 2nd edition, 2017/18, The Law Reviews
- The Banking Regulation Review (UAE chapter), 8th edition, 2017, The Law Reviews
- Proposed Insurance Authority Decision Concerning Marketing of Insurance Policies by Banks, Afridi & Angell inBrief, August 2016
- Shareholders' Rights in Private and Public Companies (UAE chapter), 2nd edition, Thomson Reuters
- The Private Wealth & Private Client Review (UAE chapter), 5th edition, 2016, Law Business Research
- Company Directors, European Lawyer Reference 2013
- International Survey of Investment Adviser Regulation, 2012
- Shareholder's Rights, 1st Edition, European Lawyer Reference
- Private Equity, 2011, PLC Cross Border Handbooks