Corporate and Commercial
Afridi & Angell has an impressive track record of advising clients in leading corporate transactions in the region.
We pride ourselves on our innovation and ability to bring commercial acumen to a broad variety of matters in respect of our clients’ inward and outward investment activities and joint ventures as well as their ongoing corporate, financial and commercial matters. We also draw together experts from across the firm in key areas impacting the corporate, commercial and retail sectors including contracting, corporate finance, technology, intellectual property, employment, financial services, consumer protection regulations, litigation and dispute resolution.
- Acted as UAE counsel to Damac Real Estate Development plc on its IPO of depositary receipts on the London Stock Exchange. Prepared the due diligence report and advised on the IPO structuring. This deal won ASIAN-MENA COUNSEL’s Deals of the Year 2014 award.
- Advised Dubai Aluminium (Dubal) and Investment Corporation of Dubai with respect to Dubal's merger with the aluminium interests of Mubadala to form Emirates Global Aluminium, the 5th largest global aluminium company.
- Represented a client in restructuring loans with lenders and in the sale by the client of their majority stake in a company listed on the Nasdaq Dubai. This was one of the largest non-governmental restructurings in the region.
- Acted as UAE counsel to TPV Technology Ltd, Hong Kong in the joint venture between Royal Philips Electronics and TPV Technology Limited. The joint venture is called TP Vision and is 70% owned by TPV and 30% by Royal Philips Electronics.
- Advised client in the sale of Fitness First clubs by the franchisee in the UAE, Bahrain, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and Qatar to Landmark Group.
- Advised client in the sale of the Ritz Carlton, Dubai International Financial Centre.
- Representation of one of the largest logistics companies in the UAE in the acquisition thereof by Toll Group (major Australian logistics company).
- Advised client in the negotiation of an agreement to launch a mobile financial services business with DU, one of the UAE’s largest mobile network operators.
- Advised the owner of a major logistics company in the UAE to Barloworld, a major South African conglomerate.
- Advised a leading steel works fabrication in the sale of a 75% interest in the company to a private equity fund managed by HSBC.
- Advised a banking client in the acquisition of the retail business arm of the Royal Bank of Scotland in the UAE.