Ronnie DabbasiSenior Associate, Dubai Office
Email Ronnie Dabbasi
Mr Dabbasi joined the firm in 2011. His practice consists of corporate, commercial, and finance matters, particularly in the technology, energy, healthcare, and education sectors. He has experience with a broad range of cross-border and domestic mergers and acquisitions, and advises buyers and sellers on the due diligence and disclosure process, deal structuring, and drafting of transaction docume
Mr Dabbasi joined the firm in 2011. His practice consists of corporate, commercial, and finance matters, particularly in the technology, energy, healthcare, and education sectors. He has experience with a broad range of cross-border and domestic mergers and acquisitions, and advises buyers and sellers on the due diligence and disclosure process, deal structuring, and drafting of transaction documents related to the purchase and sale of full and partial legal and beneficial interests in the UAE and abroad. He advises on project finance deals and formation, marketing and management of local and foreign funds, as well as on a broad range of private equity transactions, early and growth stage venture capital financings, and convertible debt and mezzanine financings. Mr Dabbasi is also a lead associate for the firm’s hospitality practice, and he regularly represents hotel and restaurant owners and operators.
Prior to joining Afridi & Angell, Mr Dabbasi was an associate with another law firm in Dubai and with a global law firm in New York.
His notable transaction experience includes:
- Advising shareholders regarding the US$75 million sale of three schools in Sharjah to an international operator and the expansion and lease of the underlying properties valued at around US$200 million.
- Advised owners of Reem Al Bawadi regarding the US$85 million share sale to Marka Hospitality.
- Advising owners and operators regarding the development and management of several three, four, and five star hotels across the UAE and wider GCC.
- Advised Al Tayyar Group regarding its equity and convertible debt investment in Careem.com valued at over US$200 million.
- Advising venture capital firms, fund managers, incubators, crowd funding platforms, research and technology parks, and entrepreneurs regarding venture capital financing in the MENA region and abroad.
- Advised a private equity fund regarding US$250 million debt and equity financing for its oil and gas, coal mining, wind power, and electric power infrastructure projects.
- Advised a public sector energy provider in its acquisition of power plants and infrastructure equipment valued at US$350 million.
- Advising an oil and gas conglomerate in connection with registration, licensing, and import/export issues regarding its Middle East petroleum drilling operations.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Corporate and Commercial
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Private Equity
- Venture Capital
QUALIFICATIONS AND ADMISSIONS
- State Bar of New York
- State Bar of Texas
- JD, University of Texas School of Law, 2007
- BBA, University of Texas, 2004
- Acquisition Finance (UAE chapter), 2017, Getting The Deal Through
- New UAE Funds Regime, Afridi & Angell inBrief, March 2017
- Mind the Gap: Bridge Finance, Arabian Business Start Up Magazine, March 2016
- Venture Capital Investment: Market and Regulatory Overview (UAE chapter), 2016/17, Practical Law Global Guide
- Making Monetary Sense: [The How-To] Understand Your VC Term Sheet, Entrepreneur Middle East, February 2015
- Hedge Funds Jurisdictional Comparisons (UAE chapter), 2nd Edition, 2014, The European Lawyer Reference
- The Asset Management Review (UAE chapter), 1st edition, 2012, The Law Reviews