Maria is a senior associate with a diverse range of expertise, which enables her to provide counsel across various facets of the law. Her corporate and commercial proficiency encompasses the drafting, review, negotiation, and advisory aspects of a wide array of commercial contracts and proposed transactions. Maria excels in developing negotiation strategies, drafting board resolutions, and analysing proposed transactions, distribution and cooperation agreements, MOUs, and shareholders agreements.
With a background in advising and representing clients in commercial disputes, Maria is well-versed in international and domestic arbitration proceedings under the DIAC, LCIA, and ICC. Her substantial involvement in arbitration and court litigation processes and her experience in mergers and acquisitions equip her to offer clients a comprehensive skill set.
Maria is a frequent speaker at legal and industry-focused conferences, often presenting at legal training events. Her clientele in the UAE includes local government entities, private companies, investors, as well as contractors and developers. She also brings extensive experience in advising SMEs on sales and purchase agreements and transfer of shares transactions.
Prior to joining Afridi & Angell, Maria spent five years as an associate in the corporate/commercial team of a legal consultancy firm in Greece and eight years as a senior associate in the Dispute Resolution Department of a legal consultancy firm in the UAE.
Some of Maria’s notable matters include:
- Counselled a major Dubai free zone authority in a DIAC arbitration (DIAC, UAE law) in a dispute relating to non-payment of rent following the termination of a commercial land lease in Dubai. The lease was categorised as a Musataha agreement under UAE law and was valid for a period of 50 years.
- Advised and acted for the Claimant in a shareholders and employment dispute relating to a restaurant business in the DIFC.
- Provided counsel for the Second Defendant in a case with freezing orders with a penal notice issued by the DIFC Courts against the First Defendant and the Second Defendant to not dispose in any way, deal with or diminish the value of any of their assets which are in the DIFC or outside the DIFC on the basis of a judgment and a worldwide freezing order granted by the Courts of England and Wales.
- Advised and acted for the Claimant in a dispute relating to the construction of a major commercial and residential building in Al Barsha South (Dubai) and, in particular, concerning issues of entitlement to an extension of time, additional costs, variations, liquidated damages, and claims of defects.
- Advised and represented the Claimant against the employer in Dubai Courts (proceedings filed by the employer in breach of the arbitration agreement and potential arbitration).
- Advised and acted for the Respondent in a DIAC construction arbitration in final award set-aside application proceedings.
- Advised and acted for the Claimant in a DIAC commercial arbitration in the recognition and enforcement of a final award application proceedings.
- Advised and acted for the Claimant, a leading owner, developer and asset manager of hotels in the Middle East and Australia, in a dispute relating to the construction of a hotel in the UAE.
- Advised and acted for the Defendant, a distributor and wholesaler provider in Dubai, in a dispute in the Dubai Courts concerning a breach of a loan agreement, breach of a distribution agreement and default in a share purchase agreement.