Haider K AfridiPartner, Dubai Office
Email Haider K Afridi
Mr Afridi has extensive experience in dispute resolution and has represented clients in both institutional and ad hoc arbitration proceedings, as well as instructing and managing local counsel on matters before the UAE Courts. He has been involved in substantial claims in the construction, real estate, and financial services sectors. He is also involved in the corporate and commercial practice of the firm and has experience in advising developers, financiers and government agencies on power generation and other infrastructure projects.
Mr Afridi also regularly assists clients in structuring joint ventures, franchises and distributorships.
He joined Afridi & Angell in 1991 and became partner in 1997.
Representative Cases - Contentious
- Represented a client in a multi-million dollar shareholder dispute under Mauritian law which was the subject of arbitration proceedings with its seat in Dubai. The proceedings were conducted under the UNCITRAL Rules issues of foreign law, enforceability and the supervisory jurisdiction of the Dubai Courts.
- Represented a Dubai-based property developer in a DIAC arbitration in a construction dispute against a contractor in an established Dubai community. In addition to the arbitration proceedings, advised in local courts litigation surrounding issues such as jurisdiction of local courts in the presence of an arbitration agreement, and attachment of performance securities by the local courts.
- Represented a Dubai-based property developer in a DIAC arbitration proceeding based on breach of commercial property sale and purchase contract. Award issued upholding defence and award of legal costs.
- Acted for a major Kuwaiti property developer in a multi-million dirham dispute relating to the termination of a services agreement with a service provider in respect of one of Abu Dhabi’s largest mall development projects.
- Represented a client in ICC arbitration proceedings in Abu Dhabi relating to a multi-million dollar contractual claim involving allegations of fraud and dishonesty.
- Represented Deyaar Development before the DIFC courts, Taaleem PJSC (Taaleem) v (1) National Bonds Corporation PJSC (NBC) (2) Deyaar Development PJSC (Deyaar).
- Represented a shareholder in multijurisdictional claims brought against a private equity investment group. Claims pursued in UAE, England, United States and Singapore.
- Represented a foreign bank in pursuing persons involved in a major fraud; assets received in the UAE and foreign jurisdictions.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Dispute Resolution
- International Arbitration
- Corporate and Commercial
- Joint Ventures
QUALIFICATIONS AND ADMISSIONS
- NWFP Bar Council, Pakistan
- LL.M., Fordham University School of Law, New York, 1991
- Bachelor of Law, University of Bristol, Bristol, UK, 1988