Chatura RandeniyaPartner, Dubai Office
Email Chatura Randeniya
Mr Randeniya's practice focuses primarily on dispute resolution. He advises and represents clients in arbitration, and has represented clients in DIAC, ADCCAC, ICC, and ad hoc arbitrations. He also works with local advocates on matters before the UAE Federal Courts, including the Federal Supreme Court in matters of national security, as well as the Courts of Dubai and Ras Al Khaimah.
Mr Randeniya regularly acts for clients in high value construction disputes. He also advises on maritime and shipping disputes, banking disputes, employment disputes, as well as disputes relating to commercial transactions. Some of his recent matters include acting for a major UAE bank in a commercial claim in excess of AED250 million, acting for employers in several construction disputes each involving claims in excess of AED100 million, and successfully representing a client in a claim of approximately USD5 million involving international air cargo freight.
Prior to joining Afridi & Angell in 2008, Mr Randeniya was in the private bar of Sri Lanka practicing in the Law Chambers of Dr Harsha Cabral, President’s Counsel. He was also a visiting lecturer in law at the Faculties of Law and Management at the University of Colombo.
Mr Randeniya is a recommended practitioner in dispute resolution in Legal 500 EMEA.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Litigation and ADR
- Shipping, Maritime and Transport
- Dispute Resolution
QUALIFICATIONS AND ADMISSIONS
- Attorney-at-Law of the Supreme Court of Sri Lanka, called to the Bar in 2006
- LLM, Harvard Law School, William H. Fulbright Scholar, 2007
- LLB (Honours) University of Colombo, Sri Lanka, 2004
- Is Arbitration an Exceptional or Alternative Form of Dispute Resolution? Afridi & Angell inBrief, 21 May 2019
- The UAE’s new Arbitration Law: a significant step towards making the Emirates a global arbitration hub, IBA Litigation Newsletter, May 2019
- Significant Changes to UAE's Civil Procedure Code, ASIAN-MENA Counsel, February 2019
- Significant Changes to Civil Procedure Code, Afridi & Angell inBrief, 12 February 2019
- Application for an Anti-Suit Injunction: Dismissed, Afridi & Angell inBrief, 11 November 2018
- Litigation and Enforcement in the United Arab Emirates, 2018, Practical Law Global Guide
- Remote Litigation in Dubai Labour Court, Afridi & Angell Legal Alert, 30 October 2018
- Dubai relaxes rules on filing appeals before the Court of Cassation, Afridi & Angell Legal Alert, 30 September 2018
- Assessing the Impact of the New UAE Arbitration Law, Lexis Middle East Law, 20 July 2018
- The UAE Federal Arbitration Law: A First Look, Afridi & Angell inBrief, 17 May 2018
- Arrest of Vessels (UAE chapter), Maritime Law Handbook, 2018, Kluwer Law International
- Attachment of Assets, Juris Publishing, 2017
- Potential Criminal Liability for Arbitrators and Experts, Afridi & Angell's inBrief, November 2016
- Arbitration Procedures and Practice in the United Arab Emirates, 2016/17, Practical Law Global Guide
- Dispute Resolution: Volume 2, Arbitration, (UAE chapter) 2012/2013, PLC Multi-jurisdictional Guides
- Shipping & International Trade Law (UAE chapter), 1st edition, 2011/2012, The European Lawyer